Friday, October 19, 2012

PHOTO FRIDAY: TIBET'S POTALA PALACE


Sunrise at the Potala Palace in Lhasa, Tibet, on a cold October morning. It was a fun way to spend our 4th wedding anniversary, as well as our celebration of six months on the road (more on that later). 

The Palace served as winter home of the Dalai Lama since the 7th century. However, fleeing from Chinese invasion in 1959, the 14th Dalai Lama escaped to India, where he is living in exile today.

While the building remains a potent symbol of Tibetan Buddhism, the Potala now serves as more of a tourist attraction than religious center.

3 comments:

  1. Liz and Kip -- I can't remember if I've made a comment on your blog before. My friend, Kim Brenner, told me about yall and about this blog. I understand yall are related..? Just so you know, I could read and re-read your blog, living vicariously through your re-telling of your grand adventures! I love to travel and wish so badly I could do the same as you. Way to seize the day (my personal motto). I love your posts. Keep 'em coming!
    --Virginia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Virginia,
      Thanks so much for your comment! I'm glad you are liking the blog, and thanks to cousin Kim for sharing it with you! We will definitely keep the posts and photos coming. Thanks again for reading!

      Delete
  2. Hi Liz and Kip,
    Your photos are wonderful and I don't see how you will ever want to come home after this! How boring Washington DC is right now with politics in full bloom. Not quite as pretty as the cherry blossoms in Spring. Beam me up Scottie! Love Aunt P.P.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting!